Check out Mini-Ballbug for simple mobiles or Ballbug Mobile for modern smartphones.
4:19 AM ET, April 9, 2006

Ballbug

 Top News: 
Ian Browne / MLB.com:
Chilling in Charm City  —  Red Sox ace dominates Birds to notch second victory  —  BALTIMORE — Frigid air filled Camden Yards on Saturday afternoon, with one exception.  It came in the form of the heat that emanated from Curt Schilling's right arm.  —  With two on and two outs in the bottom …
Discussion: Boston Red Sox
RELATED ITEMS:
Ian Browne / MLB.com:
Notes: Defense leaving its mark  —  With new blueprint in place, Red Sox winning close games  —  BALTIMORE — Run prevention.  It was a buzz phrase around the offices of Yawkey Way all winter, as the front office reconstructed a team that was successful last year, but flawed.
Nick Cafardo / Boston Globe:   Foulke makes minor tweaks
Amalie Benjamin / Boston Globe:
Millar makes it big
Discussion: The Joy of Sox
Jeff Zrebiec / Baltimore Sun:   Boston takes O's Cabrera for walk
Spencer Fordin / MLB.com:
Chen set for season debut
Discussion: The Joy of Sox
Ian Browne / MLB.com:   Ecstatic Schilling set to face O's
Carrie Muskat / MLB.com:
Notes: Lee relaxes deal deadline  —  Young Cedeno opens season on a hot streak  —  CHICAGO — Chicago Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee softened his call for a Saturday deadline to resolve his possible contract extension, but he did reiterate that he wants the matter resolved soon so he can focus on baseball.
Discussion: Bleed Cubbie Blue
RELATED ITEMS:
Carrie Muskat / MLB.com:
Cubs give Hendry two-year extension  —  GM plans to negotiate deal with Baker at 'appropriate time'  —  CHICAGO — Chicago Cubs general manager Jim Hendry received a two-year contract extension through the 2008 season on Saturday, and one of his first orders of business will be to keep manager Dusty Baker beyond the 2006 season.
Discussion: Cubbiepalooza
Andrew Seligman / Associated Press:
Hendry, Cubs agree on extension  —  Hendry, Cubs agree on extension  —  CHICAGO (AP) — Cubs general manager Jim Hendry agreed Saturday on a two-year contract extension through the 2008 season.  —  "It's something that I don't take lightly," said Hendry, who was in the final year of his contract.
Discussion: 6-4-2
Mike Kiley / Chicago Sun Times:
With or without deal, Lee ending talks today
Paul Sullivan / Chicago Tribune:
Lee gives Hendry Saturday deadline
Associated Press:
Wells gives up seven runs in rehab start  —  PAWTUCKET, R.I. — David Wells was hit hard in a rehab start for Triple-A Pawtucket, giving up seven runs and six hits in five innings Friday night.  —  "It is what it is, it's a bad night," said Wells, placed on the disabled list last Saturday — retroactive to March 27.
Discussion: Gaslamp Ball
RELATED ITEMS:
Mike Shalin / MLB.com:
Boomer roughed up in rehab start
Discussion: Reb Sox
Mike Shalin / Boston Herald:   Minor pothole in Wells' road
Tom D'Angelo / Palm Beach Post:
Mets get Vargas turned around  —  NEW YORK — When starting pitcher Jason Vargas left the Marlins' team hotel Friday for Shea Stadium, he got on a train and went in the wrong direction, ended up in Brooklyn and frantically doubled his way back to Manhattan before catching the right train.
RELATED ITEMS:
Tom D'Angelo / Palm Beach Post:
Marlins shift for Delgado
Discussion: FishStripes
Bill Ladson / MLB.com:
Notes: Robinson awaits suspension  —  Reliever Rodriguez will likely sit for three games  —  HOUSTON — Nationals manager Frank Robinson said that he and reliever Felix Rodriguez face automatic suspensions after both were ejected by crew chief Rick Reed on Thursday against the Mets.
RELATED ITEMS:
Barry Svrluga / Washington Post:
Guillen: Rematch Could Be 'Real Ugly'
Bill Ladson / MLB.com:   Vidro's homer all Nationals can muster
Bill Ladson / MLB.com:   Guillen leaves after being hit on forearm
Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com:
Notes: Belliard sits with odd injury  —  Tribe second baseman strains calf walking to the dugout  —  CLEVELAND — It's not often a player gets injured between innings.  —  But that's just what happened to Ronnie Belliard on Friday night.  —  The Indians' second baseman suffered a mild strain …
Discussion: Let's Go Tribe
Amanda Branam / MLB.com:
Brazelton set to take the bump  —  Colorado (2-2) at San Diego (1-2), 7:05 p.m. PT  —  Pitcher Dewon Brazelton's Padres debut on Saturday against the Rockies is arguably one of the more anticipated debuts for San Diego this season.  —  The 25-year-old came to San Diego in December in a trade …
Discussion: Ducksnorts and Associated Press
Thomas Harding / MLB.com:
Notes: Barmes finding his stroke  —  Colorado shortstop trying to settle in early in the season  —  SAN DIEGO — Colorado shortstop Clint Barmes did not begin this year with the thunder he took into 2005, but it's not too late to make early-season noise.  —  Last year, Barmes homered off …
Discussion: Bad Altitude
Bill Center / San Diego Union-Tribune:
Estes put on DL with elbow injury  —  Towers: No. 2 starter out four to six weeks  —  Shawn Estes knows the difference between pain and hurt.  —  "Every pitcher experiences pain and discomfort," Estes said.  "I feel discomfort almost every day.  Usually it comes and goes."
Bernie Miklasz / St. Louis Post-Dispatch:
As a 'core guy,' Encarnacion must improve  —  CHICAGO  —  Four games are hardly a fair or indicative trial, but Cardinals right fielder Juan Encarnacion is struggling to get out of the gate in the early days of the season.  —  In Friday's 5-1 loss to the Cubs at a chilled, windswept Wrigley Field …
Discussion: Viva El Birdos and Redbirds Fun
Susan Slusser / San Francisco Chronicle:
Is personal character A's latest way to find value?  —  Seattle — As readers of "Moneyball" know, the A's front office is always trying to find an undervalued commodity and take advantage of it.  First, it was on-base percentage, college pitchers, players who didn't fit prescribed physical modes.
Tyler Kepner / New York Times:
Yanks' Star-Studded Lineup Falling Short on Hits  —  ANAHEIM, Calif., April 7 — The players in the Yankees' starting lineup have made 42 All-Star teams.  This season, they will earn about $110 million.  Together, they have more star power than a planetarium.  —  They will play under the weight of those facts all season.
Childs Walker / Baltimore Sun:
Angelos turns up Comcast volume … WASHINGTON // Orioles owner Peter Angelos lambasted Comcast Corp. for monopolistic practices and implored the cable giant to televise Washington Nationals games during a congressional hearing yesterday on the standoff that has left 1.3 million D.C.-area households unable to watch their home team.
Discussion: The Sports Economist
 
 Archived Page Info: 
This is a snapshot of Ballbug at 4:19 AM ET, April 9, 2006.

View the current page or another snapshot:


 
 See Also: 
Ballbug: site main
Ballbug River: reverse chronological Ballbug
Ballbug Mobile: for phones
Ballbug Leaderboard: Ballbug's top sources
 
 Subscribe: 
Ballbug RSS feed
 
 
 More News: 
Paul Meyer / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
Pirates Notebook: Tracy searching for a leading man
John Hickey / Seattle Post-Intelligencer:
Mariners Notebook: Ibanez hits new level
Discussion: Lookout Landing
Tom Krasovic / San Diego Union-Tribune:
Klesko set for surgery on shoulder
 Earlier Picks: 
Adam McCalvey / MLB.com:
Bush leads Brewers to victory
Discussion: Brew Crew Ball
Kevin Hench / Fox Sports:
Beckett has Red Sox nation optimistic
 

 
From WeSmirch:

TMZ.com:
TMZ Receives 4th Nancy Guthrie Demand Email, Come Forward and Tell Us

Kisha Forde / E! Online:
Anderson Cooper Announces Exit From 60 Minutes After Nearly 20 Years

TMZ.com:
Legendary Actor Robert Duvall Dead at 95

 
Sister Sites:

Techmeme
 Top news and commentary for technology's leaders, from all around the web
Mediagazer
 Top news and commentary for media professionals from all around the web
memeorandum
 What US political commentators are discussing online right now
WeSmirch
 The top celebrity news from all around the web on a single page