Top News:
Jon Heyman / Sports Illustrated:
Free agent Bay nixes Sox's initial offer … Star free agent outfielder Jason Bay has declined Boston's initial contract offer and will head to full free agency, SI.com has learned. — Boston's offer to Bay was believed to be for four years and “close to $60 million,” according to sources.
RELATED:
David Lennon / Newsday:
Mets vow to spend on free agents, but how much, whom? — Omar Minaya must cast a wider net to see how he can repair a fractured team that went 70-92 this season. — In a perfect world, one — without payroll restrictions, the Mets could splurge on free agents to solve all of their most pressing needs.
Discussion:
Amazin' Avenue
Ken Davidoff / Newsday:
Top 30 free agents, plus New York specials — Here are my annual top 30 free-agent rankings and predictions. — I tried something different this year with the rankings, relying solely on WAR.I liked the idea of using one consistent metric, and also displaying which of this free-agent pool …
Bill Shaikin / Los Angeles Times:
Bud Selig still isn't worried about the Dodgers — Commissioner won't discuss what the future might hold given the McCourts' divorce proceedings but says team is ‘in good hands.’ — Commissioner Bud Selig, right, refused to offer assurances to fans worried that the divorce saga involving Frank …
RELATED:
Associated Press:
Bud Selig planning fewer breaks in playoff schedule — CHICAGO — Baseball plans to cut down on off days during the postseason next year. — Commissioner Bud Selig said Wednesday he's working on tightening up the 2010 playoff schedule so there will be fewer gaps between games.
Peter Abraham / Boston Globe:Selig: Playoff schedule will be condensed
Discussion:
Sliding Into Home
Jordan Bastian / MLB.com:
Rebuilding Jays may not be major players — New GM Anthopolous concentrating on building team's core — TORONTO — If the Blue Jays were one or two pieces away from immediately being a contender for the World Series, rookie general manager Alex Anthopoulos would strongly consider being a major player in the free-agent marketplace.
RELATED:
Mark Sheldon / MLB.com:
Reds won't be busy in free agency — General manager Jocketty doesn't expect to be active — CINCINNATI — Free agency opens for business at 12:01 a.m. ET on Friday, and that means it will be buying season for all 30 clubs. — Don't expect the Reds to be busy free-agent shoppers, however.
Discussion:
MLB Rumors
Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com:
Gems hidden in Minors free agency — Some players able to catch on in bigs, resurrect careers — Major League Baseball free agency is under way, and it takes on a life of its own, like the season after the season. MLB.com even has a game, “Free Agent Frenzy,” so fans can get wrapped up in the excitement.
Discussion:
Brew Beat
Mark Bowman / MLB.com:
Patience a free-agent virtue for Braves — Club could look to open market to fill holes in 'pen, first base — ATLANTA — Last year, the Braves aggressively attacked the free-agent market in search of top-flight starting pitchers. As this year's free-agent season begins …
Discussion:
MLB Rumors
RELATED:
Robert Emrich / MLB.com:
Havens heats up as AFL winds down — Mets prospect scores three runs, raises average to .324 — Reese Havens is finishing his five-week stint in the Arizona Fall League on a roll. — The Mets' prospect fell a home run short of the cycle and scored three times Wednesday …
Henry Schulman / San Francisco Chronicle:
Why I picked Carpenter over Lincecum — (11-18) 21:30 PST — If Tim Lincecum wins his second consecutive National League Cy Young Award today, I will be happy for the lad. Lincecum is one of the best and most electric pitchers in the game and had another fantastic season.
Mychael Urban / MLB.com:
Beane looking to go young in offseason — GM to pursue youth rather than spending on free agents — OAKLAND — The 15-day window in which teams hold exclusive negotiating rights with their own free agents closes at 9 p.m. PT on Thursday, at which point the A's will be free to start their holiday shopping.
RELATED:
Paul Sullivan / Chicago Breaking Sports:
Cubs, lefty reliever Grabow agree to 2-year deal — The Cubs and left-hander reliever John Grabow have agreed in principle to a two-year deal, team sources said today. — There was never any doubt that Grabow would return, but with the 15-day exclusivity window to re-sign …
Ken Gurnick / MLB.com:
Time in LA ‘disappointing’ for Schmidt — Righty's career likely finished despite free-agent filing — LOS ANGELES — Jason Schmidt filed for free agency last week, surprising a lot of people who thought he had already retired. — “Just leaving my options open,” he said.
Washington Post:
Double moves aside, Rogers is moving on — Benched Redskins cornerback is eager to bounce back in Dallas — Since his rookie season in 2005, Carlos Rogers has started all but two of the 47 games in which he has played. So as the Washington Redskins began installing their game plan …
Discussion:
DC Pro Sports Report

