Check out Mini-Ballbug for simple mobiles or Ballbug Mobile for modern smartphones.
12:10 PM ET, November 21, 2009

Ballbug

 Top News: 
Jerry Crasnick / ESPN:
Johnson wanted four-year deal  —  There will be no long-term contract for pitcher Josh Johnson with the Florida Marlins this winter, his agent said Friday.  —  Agent Matt Sosnick told ESPN.com that negotiations between the Marlins and Johnson have reached an “impasse,” and Johnson expects to play under a one-year deal in 2010.
RELATED:
Joe Capozzi / Palm Beach Post:
Agent: Josh Johnson doesn't expect to get a long-term deal from Florida Marlins  —  Sides far apart on length, amount of contract  —  All-Star pitcher Josh Johnson had hoped to sign a new contract with the Marlins this winter that would keep him with the club for years to come.
Discussion: Bottom9 Baseball
Mike Axisa / MLB Rumors:
Josh Johnson Extension Talks Reach Impasse
Brian McTaggart / MLB.com:
Astros add four to 40-man roster  —  Moves come with eye on December's Rule 5 Draft  —  HOUSTON — After a painstaking week of poring over names, statistics and looking into their crystal ball, the Astros on Friday added four players to their 40-man roster by purchasing the contracts …
Discussion: The Crawfish Boxes
RELATED:
Anthony DiComo / MLB.com:
Yankees finalize 40-man roster  —  Seven prospects protected from upcoming Rule 5 Draft  —  NEW YORK — Moving to protect their Minor Leaguers from the upcoming Rule 5 Draft, the Yankees shifted seven players onto their 40-man roster late Friday afternoon.
Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com:
Marlins add five to fill up 40-man roster  —  Four righties, outfielder Cousins safe from Rule 5 Draft  —  In anticipation of the Rule 5 Draft on Dec. 10, the Marlins filled up their 40-man roster on Friday, adding right-handers Jose Ceda, Jay Buente, Brett Sinkbeil and Kris Harvey, as well as outfielder Scott Cousins.
Michael Silverman / Clubhouse Insider:
Red Sox inquire about Holliday, A. Beltre, M. Gonzalez, R. Ankiel  —  Add four Scott Boras clients to the list of free agents the Red Sox have expressed interest in.  —  Outfielders Matt Holliday and Rick Ankiel, left-handed reliever Mike Gonzalez and third baseman Adrian Beltre have all been discussed …
Discussion: MLB Rumors, NESN.com, MetsBlog.com and ESPN
RELATED:
Peter Abraham / Boston Globe:
Ortiz says Sox need to power up
Discussion: YFSF and Angels blog
Dan Barbarisi / Providence Journal:
As free agency begins, Nick Green doesn't expect to be back with Red Sox
Discussion: SOX & Dawgs and NESN.com
Chad Jennings / The LoHud Yankees Blog:
Shelley not coming back to Yankees  —  Shelley Duncan was outrighted to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, but that doesn't mean he'll end up there.  —  The first time a player clears waivers and is sent outright to the minor leagues, he has no choice but to accept the assignment.
RELATED:
Joe Cowley / Chicago Sun Times:
BATTLE OF BULGE  —  Jenks, Guillen at odds over closer's weight, whether it affected down year in 2009  —  South Side, we have a problem.  —  A 6-4, 285-pound problem that better be resolved before feelings get hurt and relationships are destroyed.  —  After a calf injury ended closer …
Jordan Bastian / MLB.com:
Jays talk Halladay with Cubs  —  GM Anthopoulos mum on issue; deal unlikely as of now  —  TORONTO — Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos was adamant earlier this month that he was not shopping any of his players this offseason — not even ace Roy Halladay.  Anthopoulos might be changing his tune.
RELATED:
Jerry Crasnick / MLB:
San Diego Padres GM Jed Hoyer has ‘cordial’ meeting with Adrian Gonzalez's agent  —  Adrian Gonzalez's agent met with San Diego general manager Jed Hoyer on Friday, amid ongoing speculation that the Padres might consider trade proposals for the two-time All-Star or offer him a multiyear contract extension this offseason.
David Lennon / Newsday:
Minaya to speak with Delgado  —  Omar Minaya already has said he plans to speak with Delgado about a possible return for next season.  —  Omar Minaya will have a  —  chance to talk face to face with Carlos Delgado on Saturday as part of a Mets contingent headed to Puerto Rico for a fundraiser …
RELATED:
Wallace Matthews / Newsday:
Wilpons should be honest and look ahead to 2011
Adam McCalvy / MLB.com:
Report: Brewers sign Dominican prospect  —  Highly-regarded shortstop will need to pass age verification  —  MILWAUKEE — The Brewers have agreed to terms with 16-year-old Dominican shortstop Santo Aybar, according to a report on ESPN.com.  —  The report, which cited Brewers Latin American …
RELATED:
Adam McCalvy / MLB.com:
Brewers taking a look at Halama
Discussion: JSOnline and MLB Rumors
Jim Street / MLB.com:
Ackley to try second base in January  —  Mariners want outfield prospect to attempt new position  —  Dustin Ackley will start in left field for the Peoria Javelinas in Saturday's Arizona Fall League championship game against the Phoenix Desert Dogs, but the Mariners are going to work him out at second base …
David Pinto / baseballmusings.com:
PLAYERS A TO Z, BURKE BADENHOP  —  Burke Badenhop pitches in relief for the Florida Marlins, and owns one of my favorite names in the sport for two reasons:  — You can't spell Badenhop without, “Bad hop.”  — It reminds me of Boris Badenov.  —  In 2009, Burke improved on his rookie season …
Discussion: FishStripes
MLB.com:
Pirates Claim Chris Jakubauskas Off Waivers from Seattle  —  The Pittsburgh Pirates today announced they have claimed right-handed pitcher Chris Jakubauskas off waivers from the Seattle Mariners.  To make room on the 40-man roster, right-handed pitcher Jeff Karstens has been designated for assignment.
Sports Illustrated:
Jon Heyman: Primer to the free-agent market, from Bay to Wagner … Free agency is finally here, less than a week before Thanksgiving.  And the signings may not come so quick, either.  —  Baseball's powers are still arguing about the state of the game's economics, whether teams are losing money …
Discussion: MetsBlog.com, MLB Rumors and ESPN
RELATED:
Diamond Notes:
Chien-Ming Wang interested in the Dodgers  —  Yankees pitcher Chien-Ming Wang, a non-tender candidate, told Taiwanese reporters Thursday that his first choice was to remain with New York.  But if the Yankees cut him loose, Wang said he would not be opposed to going to the Dodgers.
RELATED:
Tim Dierkes / MLB Rumors:   Chien-Ming Wang Open To Dodgers
Chicago Breaking Sports:
Cubs explore Bradley deal that would net Castillo  —  The Cubs continue trying to find ways to move Milton Bradley in packages that would bring them second baseman Luis Castillo from the Mets.  The latest, according to sources, is a three-team deal with the Rangers that would send send …
RELATED:
Hot Stove Blog:
Rangers won't do three-way Bradley deal
 
 Archived Page Info: 
This is a snapshot of Ballbug at 12:10 PM ET, November 21, 2009.

View the current page or another snapshot:


 
 See Also: 
Ballbug: site main
Ballbug River: reverse chronological Ballbug
Ballbug Mobile: for phones
Ballbug Leaderboard: Ballbug's top sources
 
 Subscribe: 
Ballbug RSS feed
 
 
 More News: 
Hollywoodreporter / The Live Feed | THR:
Curtis Granderson reality show being pitched
Billfer / The Detroit Tiger Weblog:
Tigers add 4 to the roster
Discussion: TigerBlog
Ben Nicholson-Smith / MLB Rumors:
O's Claim Tatum From Reds; Nix A Free Agent
Discussion: Red Reporter
Troy Renck / All Things Rockies:
Rockies bring back catcher Paul Phillips
Discussion: MLB Rumors
Alex Eisenberg / Baseball-Intellect:
Aroldis Chapman: Everything You Need to Know
Discussion: Fack Youk and True Blue LA
 Earlier Picks: 
Kevin Goldstein / Baseball Prospectus:
Indians Top 11  —  Four-Star Prospects  —  Three-Star Prospects
Henry Schulman / San Francisco Chronicle:
Second Cy Young is historic
Dick Kaegel / MLB.com:
Royals ink Campillo to Minors deal
Discussion: MLB Rumors and Royals Review
Peter Abraham / Boston Globe:
Create your own team of free agents
Ben Badler / Baseball America:
Houston Astros Top 10 Prospects
Discussion: Bottom9 Baseball
 

 
From WeSmirch:

BBC:
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested and in custody on suspicion of misconduct in public office

TMZ.com:
Rapper Lil Poppa Died by Suicide, Details Released

Angie Martoccio / Rolling Stone:
Hilary Duff Is Ready for Her Pop Return

 
Sister Sites:

Techmeme
 Top news and commentary for technology's leaders, from all around the web
Mediagazer
 Top news and commentary for media professionals from all around the web
memeorandum
 What US political commentators are discussing online right now
WeSmirch
 The top celebrity news from all around the web on a single page