Top News:
Jerry Crasnick / ESPN:
Sources: Free-agent shortstop Marco Scutaro holds private workout for Boston Red Sox — Free agent Marco Scutaro, a prime candidate to fill the Boston Red Sox's shortstop void in 2010, worked out in Florida earlier this week for one of the team's top talent evaluators, two baseball sources told ESPN.com.
Discussion:
MLB Daily Dish, Boston Globe, Full Count, MLB Rumors, Bluebird Banter and Circling The Bases
RELATED:
Geoff Baker / Seattle Times:
Oh Canada! Mariners seriously looking at Jason Bay and Rich Harden — Things are starting to heat up in the rumor mill as the baseball winter meetings approach. As colleague Larry Stone wrote yesterday, FoxSports mentioned the Mariners were pushing hard for British Columbia native Rich Harden to join their starting rotation.
Peter Abraham / Boston Globe:
Scutaro signs on with Sox — Stay where you are, Dustin Pedroia. The revolving door has spit out another shortstop for the Red Sox. — According to baseball sources, Marco Scutaro has agreed to a two-year deal with an option and needs only to pass a physical for everything to be official.
Discussion:
NESN.com
Gordon Edes / ESPN:Source: Marco Scutaro, Boston Red Sox agree to a two-year deal
Discussion:
The iYankees Blog
Todd Zolecki / The Zo Zone:
Polanco Signs Three-Year, $18 Million Deal — The Phillies announced Placido Polanco has signed a three-year, $18 million contract. The contract also includes a fourth-year mutual option for 2013. — Polanco will meet with reporters later today. — Update: The Phillies also just announced …
RELATED:
Jayson Stark / ESPN.com:Philadelphia Phillies, Placido Polanco agree to 3-year, $18 million deal
Discussion:
MVN, Cutoff Man, Jorge Says No!, Beyond the Box Score, ESPN, Brownie Points, Sabernomics and Full Count
The Knobler Blog:
Saito close to deal with Braves — The Braves are close to signing free-agent reliever Takashi Saito to a one-year contract, CBSSports.com has learned. — The deal, which should be announced later this afternoon, is expected to be for about $3 million. — With Saito and Billy Wagner …
Discussion:
Talking Chop, MVN, Over the Monster, Yahoo! Sports, SOX & Dawgs, Full Count, MetsBlog.com, Clubhouse Insider and The Real Dirty Mets Blog
RELATED:
Pete Caldera / NorthJersey.com:
Girardi says Pettitte is key to off-season — NEW YORK — To get a better idea of whether the Yankees will become a more urgent suitor for starting pitching this winter, they must receive the answer to one question first. — What is Andy Pettitte's status?
RELATED:
Adam Rubin / NY Daily News:
Report: New York Mets close to signing San Diego Padres catcher Henry Blanco — The Mets appeared to be closing in on a deal with free-agent catcher Henry Blanco. The Venezuelan newspaper “El Nacional” reported Blanco had left that country Sunday for a physical with the Mets.
RELATED:
MLB.com:
Mets sign catcher/first baseman Chris Coste — The New York Mets today announced that they have signed catcher/first baseman Chris Coste to a one-year contract and have added him to the 40-man roster. — Coste, 36, spilt the 2009 season between Philadelphia and Houston, batting .224 with two home runs and 18 RBI.
John Manuel / Sports Illustrated:
Ranking baseball's best, worst farm systems … Baseball America ranks the 30 MLB farm systems twice a year — in the spring, as the minor league season is about to start, and again every December in our Prospect Handbook. — It's a collaborative effort, and staff members don't always agree on what constitutes a strong system.
ESPN:
Cubs trade Fox, Miles to Oakland — The Chicago Cubs traded Aaron Miles and Jake Fox to the Oakland A's for right-handed pitcher Jeff Gray and minor-leaguers Ronny Morla and Matt Spencer, according to ESPNChicago.com reporter Bruce Levine. — The Cubs will absorb $1 million of the $2.7 million owed to Miles.
Dan Novick / Hardball Times:
This brings me no joy — As many of you know, my baseball loyalties lie with the Yankees. The Evil Empire often catches a lot of flack for acting like, well, an Evil Empire. I've defended them time and time again on the internet, to my friends, and to my eternally pessimistic dad.
RELATED:
Chad Jennings / The LoHud Yankees Blog:
Mets reportedly checking on Matsui — According to NPBtracker's twitter, the Mets have asked to see the results of a Hideki Matsui physical. That could be Omar Minaya simply kicking the tires and turning over every rock, or it could be legitimate interest in putting Matsui in the outfield.
Discussion:
True Blue LA, 24 Hours From Suicide, Mets Fever, lenNY's Yankees, YanksBlog.com, Circling The Bases and Baseball America
RELATED:
ESPN:
The Yankees' case for Halladay — The Yankees, Mets and Red Sox have spent more money in free agency over the past decade than any other teams, as ESPN's esteemed Mark Simon notes: Bi...
Discussion:
River Avenue Blues, The iYankees Blog, MLB Rumors, MetsBlog.com, It's About The Money and Talking Chop
RELATED:
Conor Glassey / Baseball America:
Harper Passes GED — College of Southern Nevada catcher Bryce Harper received his GED results in the mail yesterday and “passed with flying colors,” according to CSN baseball coach and athletic director Tim Chambers. Passing the GED was required for Harper to play with the Coyotes this spring.
Jkiesewetter / TV and Media Blog:
Thom Brennaman Replacing George Grande on Reds TV — Thom Brennaman tells me that he's cutting back on his Saturday Fox TV commitments next year to become the Reds primary TV announcer. Brennaman will replace George Grande, who retired in October after 17 seasonswith the Reds.
MLBastian / Major League Bastian:
Wells staying in center, Marcum ready to go — As much as Blue Jays fans were rightly concerned about the decline in offensive production from Vernon Wells in 2009, it was also troubling to witness a subpar season from him in center field. — Earlier this week, Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos …
Discussion:
Circling The Bases


