Top News:
Larry Stone / Seattle Times:
Shocker: Mariners trade Carlos Silva for Milton Bradley — The Seattle Mariners have found a way to get rid of one of their last lingering problems. The club today traded Carlos Silva, who still has two years remaining on the four-year, $48 million contract given him by former general manager Bill Bavasi …
Discussion:
Chicago Breaking Sports, Beyond the Box Score, Hardball Times, Lookout Landing, The Heater, NESN.com, Twinkie Town and Angels blog
RELATED:
Sports Illustrated:
Busy Mariners obtain Bradley from Cubs for Silva … The Mariners and Cubs reached agreement on a deal that would send outfielder Milton Bradley to Seattle in exchange for pitcher Carlos Silva and $6 million, SI.com has learned. — The money, which will be paid out over two years …
ESPN:
Chicago Cubs trade Milton Bradley to Seattle Mariners for Carlos Silva … The Mariners and Chicago Cubs have announced a trade that sends outfielder Milton Bradley to Seattle for right-handed pitcher Carlos Silva. — According to sources familiar with the deal, the Mariners will send …
Discussion:
Bottom9 Baseball
Ben Nicholson-Smith / MLB Rumors:
Cubs & Mariners Swap Bradley & Silva — 12:50pm: In a press release of their own, the Cubs say they're getting cash from the Mariners as part of the deal. Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune says the M's are sending $9MM to Chicago, which would save the Cubs $6MM.
Geoff Baker / The Seattle Times:
Mariners officially announce Milton Bradley-Carlos Silva trade — The deal is done. Carlos Silva has been traded, along with cash, to the Chicago Cubs for Milton Bradley. Unbelievable turn of events. — “We have been looking to add offense to our club and in Milton have a player …
Geoff Baker / The Seattle Times:
Carlos Silva for Milton Bradley is going down — Last week at the winter meetings, the Chicago Cubs and Mariners discussed a possible Carlos Silva for Milton Bradley swap. — “Not happening,” a top Mariners official said afterwards. — Well, it is happening now.
Duk / Yahoo! Sports:Cubs look like biggest loser in problem swap with Mariners
Discussion:
Bugs & Cranks
George A. King III / New York Post:
Yankees give Johnson one-year deal; Damon moving on — Nick Johnson is back and Johnny Damon says so long. — The Yankees agreed with Johnson on a one-year deal worth $5.5 million with another $1 million in incentives that will become official after he passes a physical Monday.
RELATED:
Mark Feinsand / Blogging The Bombers:
Say goodbye to Johnny, say hello to Nick — Johnny Damon's run in pinstripes has come to an end. — The Yankees are inching toward an agreement with Nick Johnson on a one-year, $5.5 million deal to become the team's new DH, which would mark the end of any chance for Damon to return for fifth season in pinstripes.
Discussion:
Circling The Bases, Bats, The iYankees Blog, MLB Rumors, YanksBlog.com, The Yankee Universe and Replacement Level …
Fox Sports:
Damon, Yankees need to give a little — I like the idea of the Yankees signing Nick Johnson, but only if they re-sign Johnny Damon, too. — This silliness needs to stop. — Damon and his agent, Scott Boras, need to realize that Damon is 36, not 26. The Yankees need to realize …
Mark Feinsand / NY Daily News:Nick Johnson's one-year deal with New York Yankees likely spells end …
Sports Illustrated:
Mets might have to battle ‘mystery’ team in Bay derby, plus more notes … Jason Bay reportedly has a mystery team bidding on him. But beyond the Mets, who remain keenly interested and in touch with his agent Joe Urbon, nearly all of Bay's market is remains mystery at this point.
RELATED:
John Harper / NY Daily News:Jason Bay stalls for more than four years from New York Mets
Discussion:
MetsBlog.com, Seven Train to Shea Mets Blog, Newsday, Bottom9 Baseball and Amazin' Avenue
Joe McDonald / Providence Journal:
Lowell-to-Texas deal hits snag over possible thumb injury — Now that Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein has locked down a starting pitcher and an outfielder in John Lackey and Mike Cameron, the GM's next order of business is Mike Lowell. — The Sox and the Rangers are in the midst …
RELATED:
Richard Durrett / ESPN:Source: Mike Lowell likely to have physical this weekend for Texas Rangers
Discussion:
Boston Red Sox Blog
Thomas Harding / MLB.com:
Rincon returning to Rockies — Reliever to compete for roster spot during Spring Training — DENVER — Veteran right-handed pitcher Juan Rincon agreed to return to the Rockies under a Minor League contract and will compete for a roster spot this spring, according to a Major League source.
Discussion:
MLB Rumors
Mark Bowman / MLB.com:
Vazquez unlikely to waive no-trade clause — Angels have interest, but hurler can veto deal to West team — ATLANTA — A Major League source has confirmed that it is highly unlikely Javier Vazquez would provide the Braves clearance to trade him to the Angels.
Discussion:
Bottom9 Baseball
RELATED:
The Big Lead:
ESPNLA.com Has Assembled Quite a Team [UPDATED] — A source has leaked us the staff for the new ESPNLA.com team, and Eric Neel, the site's managing editor, has assembled a talented group of writers. ESPN has done some serious poaching, allegedly stealing writers from the LA Times, LA Daily News, and Sports Illustrated.com.
