Top News:
NY Daily News:
Yankees land Javier Vazquez in deal with Braves that sends Melky Cabrera, two prospects to Atlanta — The Yankees are bringing pitcher Javier Vazquez back to the Bronx... Javier Vazquez is coming back to the Bronx. — The Daily News has learned that the Yankees will acquire …
RELATED:
Howard Megdal / MLB Rumors:
Yankees, Braves Agree To Vazquez Deal — 9:50am: Buster Olney of ESPN.com hears that the Yankees will send $500K to the Braves as part of the deal. Olney does not mention Vizcaino in the report, but O'Brien tweets that he is in the deal. — 9:43am: Sherman tweets that the deal is done.
New York Post:
Yanks working hard to get Vazquez — The Yankees are working hard to re-acquire Javier Vazquez from the Braves, the Post has learned. — Vazquez had arguably his best season as a major leaguer last season, going 15-10 with a 2.87 ERA. He is due $11.5 million next season.
Discussion:
Cardinal Beat, Full Count, The LoHud Yankees Blog, Mike Silva's …, NESN.com and Angels blog
Jon Heyman / Sports Illustrated:
Yankees close to trade for Vazquez — The Yankees have reached an agreement to acquire Javier Vazquez in a five-player deal with the Braves, SI.com has learned. The final details will be worked out. — The deal would send Vazquez and Boone Logan to the Yankees for Melky Cabrera, Mike Dunn and a prospect to Atlanta.
ESPN.com:
New York Yankees acquire Javier Vazquez from Atlanta Braves for Melky Cabrera, Mike Dunn … The New York Yankees have acquired right-hander Javier Vazquez from the Atlanta Braves for outfielder Melky Cabrera and left-hander Mike Dunn, sources told ESPN The Magazine senior writer Buster Olney.
Sam Borden / The LoHud Yankees Blog:
And behind door number 3 ... The Yankees began this offseason by making a strong trade for an outfielder, Curtis Granderson. Then, last week, they completed a deal for Nick Johnson (that's still being finalized) which shored up the DH spot left open by Hideki Matsui's departure.
Mark Feinsand / Blogging The Bombers:
Are Yankees getting ready to make a move? — The Yankees appear to be on the verge of adding a starting pitcher, though it remains unclear who Brian Cashman is targeting. — A source said Monday night that Cashman was closing in on a deal, one that isn't simply a salary dump.
Byron Kerr / MASN Online:
Nats to sign Jason Marquis — MASNsports.com has learned that the Nationals will sign starting pitcher Jason Marquis. Stay tuned for more on this breaking story.
RELATED:
Chico Harlan / Washington Post:
Nationals sign Marquis to two-year deal — Through two years of epic losing, the Washington Nationals had both a clear deficiency (they lacked a quality veteran pitcher) and a clear objective (they needed to find one). More specifically, the Nationals needed a veteran who could anchor …
Jayson Stark / MLB:Source: Mets looking into possibly signing Pedro Martinez
Discussion:
New Jersey Online
Rob Bradford / Full Count:
Lowell clarifies thumb situation — Speaking by phone from Orlando, Mike Lowell clarified the history of the thumb injury that ultimately led to the cancellation of the trade that would have sent him and $9 million to Texas for minor league catcher/infielder Max Ramirez.
RELATED:
Tim Dierkes / MLB Rumors:
Blue Jays To Acquire Brandon Morrow — TUESDAY, 9:12am: Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that Morrow will head to Florida to take a physical this afternoon. We may not hear official confirmation of the deal until tomorrow. Baker also notes that the prospect won't be Brett Wallace …
Discussion:
The Seattle Times, Miked Up, Bluebird Banter, Lookout Landing, baseballmusings.com and Circling The Bases
RELATED:
Associated Press:
New York Yankees charged with $25 million luxury tax penalty for 2009 — NEW YORK — Winning came with a hefty price for the New York Yankees. — The World Series champions were hit with a luxury tax of nearly $25.69 million Monday, the penalty for once again crossing the payroll threshold …
Chad Jennings / The LoHud Yankees Blog:
Montero ready to move one step closer — Last year's stint in Double-A was cut short by a finger injury, but the Yankees believe Jesus Montero is ready to open next season in Triple-A. — Vice president of baseball operations Mark Newman said this afternoon that the Yankees plan …
Patrick Saunders / Denver Post:
Rockies should sign Carlos Gonzalez next year — The Rockies don't sizzle in the hot stove league. That's left for the big spenders on the East Coast. — Instead, the Rockies are trying to win with a different recipe. It's based on locking up their young, talented, promising players to sensible, preplanned deals.
Peter Abraham / Boston Globe:
The price you pay — The AP collected the final 2009 payroll numbers. You can figure the payroll out in a number of ways. They go with the 40-man roster and include pro-rated shares of signing bonuses, earned incentive bonuses, non-cash compensation, buyouts of unexercised options and cash transactions.
Discussion:
Florida Marlins
