Top News:
Evan Grant / Texas Rangers:
Sources: Rangers agree to terms with Guerrero — According to two sources, the Rangers have agreed to terms with outfielder/DH Vladimir Guerrero on a one-year contract believed to be worth $5 million plus performance bonuses. General manager Jon Daniels has not responded to requests for confirmation.
RELATED:
T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com:
Rangers reel in Greene for utility role — Veteran agrees to one-year deal to supplant Vizquel — ARLINGTON — The Rangers added a designated hitter and a utility infielder all in the same weekend. — While getting a deal done with Vladimir Guerrero, sources said the Rangers were also able …
Discussion:
Texas Rangers
T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com:
Rangers agree on deal with Guerrero — One-year pact with option for second is pending physical — ARLINGTON — The Rangers have reached an agreement with free-agent outfielder Vladimir Guerrero on a one-year contract with a mutual option for 2011, according to club sources.
Peter Abraham / Boston Globe:
Matsuzaka discusses leg injury — The disconnect that existed between the Red Sox and Daisuke Matsuzaka may have gone deeper than first realized. — The righthander told the Japanese magazine Friday that he suffered a leg injury while training for the WBC that he kept hidden from the team.
Buster Olney / ESPN:
Talent evaluators split on Aroldis Chapman — The Blue Jays have reportedly bid $23 million for Aroldis Chapman. The Mets and Yankees (and other teams) have bid zero. And somebody, in the end, is probably going to look very smart, and somebody is going to look less than that.
Dan Hayes / North County Times:
PADRES: Hoyer still has toe in free-agent pool — Around this time last offseason, when all the big names had signed elsewhere, the Padres made their small foray into the free-agent market. — What they brought home, for all of $2.35 million, was a starting second baseman (David Eckstein) …
RELATED:
Larry Stone / Seattle Times:
Whatever happened to Endy Chavez? Here's the answer — Surprisingly, I've gotten asked more about the status of Endy Chavez this winter than just about any other player. He became pretty popular during his nearly three months on the Mariner roster last year, before wiping out his right knee …
Discussion:
Mets Fever, Mets Merized Online, 24 Hours From Suicide, Circling The Bases, MetsBlog.com and Mike Silva's …
RELATED:
Peter Abraham / Boston Globe:
Busy day of baseball in Boston — A few observations, quotes and notes picked up from today's events: — * Ryan Westmoreland will not participate in the rookie development program that starts Monday. He will instead head to Fort Myers this coming week to ramp up his rehab from a broken collarbone suffered in late August.
Discussion:
MetsBlog.com
Ken Gurnick / MLB.com:
Dodgers sign Ortiz, Restovich to Minors — Pitcher, outfielder will be invited to Spring Training — LOS ANGELES — The Dodgers signed free-agent pitcher Russ Ortiz and outfielder Michael Restovich to Minor League contracts with invitations to Major League Spring Training.
Mike Axisa / MLB Rumors:
Blue Jays Acquire Zach Jackson — The Indians have traded lefthander Zach Jackson to the Blue Jays for a player to be named later, according to a team press release. He's been assigned to their Triple-A affiliate in Las Vegas. — Jackson, 26, has a 5.81 ERA in 105.1 big league innings …
Discussion:
Batter's Box Interactive …
Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com:
Remaining free agents could fill Mets' need — Crop of starters on market include safe bets, risk-reward types — While unveiling his big offseason signing in Jason Bay recently, general manager Omar Minaya stressed his offseason imprint on the Mets is not yet complete.
Corey Brock / MLB.com:
Padres inquire about lefty Lowry — Hurler looking to come back from rib removal — SAN DIEGO — A year ago, the Padres struck gold with a San Francisco Giants castoff. — Could that happen again in 2010? — The Padres are one of several teams who have shown an interest …
Alex Speier / Full Count:
Why the Beltre Deal Worked for Both Sides — Yes, Scott Boras admitted, when he talked to clubs about Adrian Beltre, he was seeking a huge multi-year offer. But that quest, the agent insisted, was always done with the idea in mind that the third baseman, following a 2009 campaign …
RELATED:
