Top News:
Matthew Cerrone / MetsBlog.com:
Carlos Beltran had Knee Surgery — In a post to Twitter, Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus said: … ...oh, man, and pitchers and catchers is just five weeks away... what's up, will... Updated at 9:35 pm: — Joel Sherman of the New York Post says he heard Carlos Beltran …
Discussion:
New York Times, Amazin' Avenue, TedQuarters.net, Mets Merized Online, New York Magazine, The Crawfish Boxes, The Real Dirty Mets Blog, ...gettingpaidtowatch, Circling The Bases, The Musings and Prophecies …, The Daily Stache, Mets Fever, New York Mets Fan Blog, FakeTeams, The 'Ropolitans, OnTheBlack.com, Yahoo! Sports and Can't Stop The Bleeding
RELATED:
ESPN.com:
New York Mets upset Carlos Beltran didn't wait for surgery … NEW YORK — The New York Mets are upset Carlos Beltran had knee surgery this week after the team asked him to wait while management discussed options with its medical staff. — Assistant general manager John Ricco said the center fielder …
Joel Sherman / New York Post:
Carlos Beltran out 12 weeks after knee surgery — Carlos Beltran underwent right knee surgery today, but he did not do it with the Mets' blessing, two sources told The Post. Thus, the medical problems the Mets had hoped would end in 2009 have visited them anew two weeks into 2010.
Marty Noble / MLB.com:
Beltran undergoes surgery on right knee — Center fielder expected to miss 12 weeks, Opening Day — NEW YORK — Pain in the right knee of Carlos Beltran, an almost deafening echo of their injury-ravaged 2009 season, will deny the Mets the services of their center fielder at the beginning of the 2010 season.
New York Post:
Another Amazin' miscommunication on injury front — Well, the good vibrations associated with the signing of Jason Bay lasted about a week for the Mets. — Because it might be a new year, but an old problem has revisited the Mets; the problem that both paralyzed and humiliated them in 2009.
Discussion:
Amazin' Avenue, Patrick Flood's Mets Blog, The Daily Stache, My Summer Family and TedQuarters.net
Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com:
LaRoche, D-backs agree to one-year deal — Lefty-hitting slugger becomes club's everyday first baseman — The Arizona Diamondbacks agreed to terms Thursday on a one-year deal with Adam LaRoche, a baseball source told MLB.com. — The signing — still pending a physical …
RELATED:
Dejan Kovacevic / PBC Blog:
Carrasco agrees to $950,000 deal — BRADENTON, Fla. — The Pirates and right-handed reliever D.J. Carrasco have agreed to terms on a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training. — If Carrasco makes the team, he will make $950,000 in base pay plus as much as $250,000 in performance bonuses based on appearances.
Jon Heyman / Sports Illustrated:
LaRoche agrees with Diamondbacks — The Diamondbacks and Adam LaRoche have an agreement on a one-year deal that will be finalized as soon as he takes a physical, SI.com has confirmed. The deal will pay LaRoche between $4 million and $5 million, sources say. News of the deal was first reported by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Enrique Rojas / MLB:
Atlanta Braves, Melky Cabrera avoid arbitration — Atlanta Braves outfielder Melky Cabrera avoided salary arbitration and accepted a one-year offer worth $3.1 million from the club. — Cabrera, 25, was acquired last month by the Braves from the Yankees in a deal that sent right-handed pitcher Javier Vazquez to New York.
Discussion:
MLB Rumors, Yahoo! Sports, Chop-n-Change, The LoHud Yankees Blog, River Avenue Blues, Circling The Bases and Talking Chop
RELATED:
Sports Illustrated:
McGwire had to talk about steroids, but his story doesn't add up … The truth with Mark McGwire — and we finally did get some truth from McGwire on Monday — is that he had no choice but to come clean. (Or at least partially clean, in his case.) — From the time the Cardinals decided …
RELATED:
T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com:Negotiations continue over Rangers' sale
Discussion:
Baseball Time in Arlington
MLB.com:
New York Yankees to donate $500,000 to rescue and relief efforts in Haiti — The New York Yankees announced today that they were donating $500,000 in support of rescue and relief efforts following the tragic earthquake in Haiti. — The catastrophic event has devastated an entire nation …
RELATED:
Chicago Tribune:
New Chicago Cubs hitting coach expects to exceed high expectations — Rudy Jaramillo believes in his ability to make players better — The Cubs may be the only team in history to bring their new hitting coach to town for an introductory news conference while letting their most prominent free agent signee …
RELATED:
Troy Renck / All Things Rockies:
Details on one-year arb contracts for Barmes, Buchholz — DENVER — The Rockies avoided arbitration today with two players they will be counting on heavily next season, second baseman Clint Barmes and reliever Taylor Buchholz. — Barmes more than doubled his salary, coming in at roughly $3.4 million.
Tim Kurkjian / ESPN:
Sheets healthy, ready to prove it — Free agent didn't pitch in 2009 but is ready to go in 2010 — he just needs a team — Ben Sheets believes he can be a No. 1 starter again after missing all of '09 with elbow trouble. — Ben Sheets answered his cell phone, but there was no time to talk.
Discussion:
MLB Rumors, Halos Heaven, MetsBlog.com, Postcards from Elysian Fields, Circling The Bases and MLB
Michael Silverman / Boston Herald:
Daisuke Matsuzaka reports good — + Recent Articles + Recent Blog Entries + Email — The Red Sox [team stats] are looking ahead, not back, when it comes to Daisuke Matsuzaka [stats]. — So the reports out of Phoenix, where Matsuzaka has been training for most of the last four weeks …
RELATED:
John Shea / SFGate:
Valdez designated for assignment — Merkin Valdez was designated for assignment, clearing room on the 40-man roster for Aubrey Huff, who signed as a free agent for one year and $3 million. — Valdez was 2-1 with a 5.66 ERA in 48 games last season. He struck out 38 batters and issued 28 walks in 49 1/3 innings.


