Top News:
David Waldstein / New York Times:
Minaya Dials Back Mets' Ire on Beltran — A day after the Mets sent an assistant to do verbal battle on the team's behalf, General Manager Omar Minaya was back in place Friday, trying to smooth over the strained relationship between the club and Carlos Beltran.
RELATED:
Anthony DiComo / MLB.com:
Mets, Maine agree to terms on contract — Feliciano, Francoeur, Green, Pagan remain without deals — NEW YORK — The Mets agreed to terms with John Maine on Friday evening, avoiding arbitration with the right-hander moments after he and four other Mets filed for the process.
Jerry Crasnick / ESPN.com:
Source: Pittsburgh Pirates reach agreement with Brendan Donnelly — The Pittsburgh Pirates, adding another piece to an offseason bullpen revamp, reached a preliminary agreement with veteran reliever Brendan Donnelly on a one-year contract for about $1.5 million, a baseball source told ESPN.com.
RELATED:
Dejan Kovacevic / PBC Blog:
Pirates, Donnelly agree to terms — The Pirates and free-agent reliever Brendan Donnelly have agreed to terms on a contract, pending a physical, according to a source directly involved in the negotiations. — More to come. — UPDATE 2:05 p.m.: A few more things: This will be for one year, but I do not have financial terms.
MLB.com:
Pirates sign D.J. Carrasco to minor league contract — The Pittsburgh Pirates today announced that they have signed right-handed pitcher D.J. Carrasco to a minor league contract with an invitation to spring training as a non-roster player. — The 32-year-old Carrasco spent the entire 2009 season …
Corey Brock / MLB.com:
Padres deal Kouz to A's for outfielders — San Diego reportedly set to receive Hairston, Cunningham — SAN DIEGO — The Padres and A's have reached agreement on a deal that would send San Diego third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff and Minor League infielder Eric Sogard to Oakland …
RELATED:
Associated Press:
George Steinbrenner looking forward to 2010 season — TAMPA, Fla. — George Steinbrenner is looking forward to the start of the upcoming baseball season. — “I am. Aren't you?” the 79-year-old New York Yankees owner said with a smile on Friday. — Steinbrenner spent four hours …
RELATED:
Aaron Fitt / Baseball America:
Judge Rules Against Paxton — A Kentucky judge ruled Friday night that the University of Kentucky can withhold lefthander James Paxton from games until he meets with an NCAA investigator to clear up questions about his eligibility. — The Associated Press reported that Fayette County …
Fox Sports:
With rivals reeling, Giants whiffed — Jon Paul Morosi is a national MLB writer for FOXSports.com. He previously covered baseball for the Detroit Free Press and Seattle Post-Intelligencer. He began his journalism career at the Bay City Times in his native Michigan.
Discussion:
Mike Scioscia's tragic illness
Melissa Isaacson / ESPN:
Marlon Byrd will bat fifth in Chicago Cubs lineup: Lou Piniella — Marlon Byrd has his work cut out for him in 2010. — The center fielder was the Chicago Cubs' biggest free agent signing in the offseason, and manager Lou Piniella expects to put him fifth in the batting order going into spring training.
Anthony DiComo / MLB.com:
Gaudin, Logan file for arbitration — Agreements may be reached prior to February hearings — NEW YORK — The two eligible Yankees, Chad Gaudin and Boone Logan, both filed for salary arbitration in advance of Friday's deadline. — Gaudin, 26, came to the Yankees in a midseason trade with the Padres in 2009.
Tony Jackson / ESPN:
McCourt not showing vulnerable side — Six years after Frank McCourt came to town from Boston and took stewardship of one of the city's most treasured jewels, the hotly debated issue of whether the Dodgers owner is a good baseball man remains an open question.
Discussion:
Dodger Thoughts
Philly.com:
Four Phils file for arbitration — It was simply a formality, but the Phillies four arbitration-eligible players were among 128 players who officially filed for salary arbitration on Friday. — Pitchers Joe Blanton and Chad Durbin, catcher Carlos Ruiz and outfielder Shane Victorino filed.
Discussion:
Phillies Nation
Dick Kaegel / MLB.com:
Gordon, Tejeda file arbitration paperwork — Players, Royals to exchange figures on Tuesday — KANSAS CITY — Third baseman Alex Gordon and pitcher Robinson Tejeda of the Royals were among 128 Major League players who filed for salary arbitration Friday.

