Top News:
Tony Jackson / ESPN:
Los Angeles Dodgers re-sign Vicente Padilla — The Dodgers finally completed their search for a fourth starter, re-signing Vicente Padilla to a one-year, $5.025 million contract after the veteran right-hander became a key member of their starting rotation down the stretch last season.
RELATED:
ESPN:RHP Joel Pineiro agrees to $16M contract with Angels
Discussion:
MLB Rumors, Dodger Thoughts, Lookout Landing, Hardball Times, True Blue LA, Yahoo! Sports and 6-4-2
Patrick Sullivan / Baseball Analysts:
In Response to Murray Chass — Recently, former New York Times journalist and J.G. Taylor Spink Award winner Murray Chass took to the pages of his blog titled Murray Chass On Baseball to discuss Hall of Fame voting. He addressed an array of topics, from Hall voting eliciting strong opinions …
RELATED:
Rob Bradford / WEEI:
WHAT HAPPENED WITH JASON BAY AND THE RED SOX — It was supposed to be the payoff for years of hard work and production. Instead, Jason Bay's foray into free agency was nine months of chaos that still leaves the outfielder shaking his head. — The end of the story had Jason Bay standing …
David Laurila / Baseball Prospectus:
Prospectus Q and A: Jack Zduriencik by David Laurila — Jack Zduriencik … David Laurila: Is it fun being a big-league general manager? — Jack Zduriencik: Well, I don't know if I look at it quite like that, but I enjoy my job. I've always enjoyed my jobs, so I've been fortunate in that respect.
RELATED:
Sasha Cohen / Yahoo! Sports:
The Orioles might be movin' on up — Editor's note: Yahoo! Sports will examine the offseason of every MLB team before spring training begins in mid-February. Our series continues at No. 21 with the Baltimore Orioles. — 2009 record: 64-98 — Finish: Fifth place in American League East
East Valley Tribune:
Mesa unveils plan to keep Cubs; vote Monday — Mesa has a deal to keep the Chicago Cubs — and all it needs is for the team to sign it. In what could be a telling decision by the team's executives, the Cubs told Mesa they will decide on an $84 million baseball complex shortly after the City Council formally endorses the deal Monday.
Craig Calcaterra / Circling The Bases:
Source: The Phillies sign Shane Victorino for 3 years, $22 million — A source is telling me that the Phillies and Shane Victorino have reached a deal on a three-year, $22 million contract. The team could announce it as early as tomorrow. Jim Salisbury had reported earlier this week …
Steve Kornacki / MLive.com:
Once veering off wrong track, Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera stands up to alcohol problem — DETROIT — Change can't come without a willing heart, and Miguel Cabrera wore his on his sleeve Thursday. — The Detroit Tigers first baseman admitted to a problem with alcohol during …
Discussion:
Fanhouse MLB Blog, Beck's Blog, Roar of the Tigers, Bless You Boys and Circling The Bases
Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com:
Phils sign Blanton to $24 million deal — Right-hander avoids arbitration with three-year extension — Joe Blanton and the Phillies were nearly $3 million apart on Tuesday. On Thursday, they committed to each other for three seasons. — One year removed from potentially hitting the open market …
Sean Smith / Hardball Times:
Center Field Defense: A Closer Look — Last year my TotalZone ratings gave Torii Hunter an excellent +12 rating. Due to an injury Torii only played 115 games in center, most of the other starts went to Gary Matthews Jr., who TotalZone absolutely hated out there for a -18 rating in only 435 innings.
Discussion:
THE BOOK
Ronald Blum / Associated Press:
AP Interview: Jenkins wants more McGwire apologies — Buzz up! — NEW YORK (AP)—Ferguson Jenkins says Mark McGwire owes an apology to all those pitchers who gave up his home runs. — The Hall of Fame ace sent an open letter to The Associated Press this week, telling the former home-run king …
Discussion:
Deadspin
Kevin Goldstein / Baseball Prospectus:
Braves Top 11 Prospects — Four-Star Prospects — Three-Star Prospects — Two-Star Prospects — Four More: — 12. J.J. Hoover, RHP: An over-slot 10th-round pick from 2008, Hoover showed excellent control and an impressive sinker/slider mix in his full-season debut.
Bill Ladson / MLB.com:
Nats interested in free agent Jacobs — Slugging first baseman struggled with Royals last season — Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said Wednesday on the MLB Network that he has interest in free-agent first baseman Mike Jacobs. — How Jacobs would fit in with the Nationals is a mystery.
Discussion:
MLB Rumors
Alex Speier / Full Count:
Red Sox sign five to minor-league deals — According to the latest Baseball America Transactions log, the Red Sox have added five more players to minor-league deals. Those players are: —RHP Chad Paronto: The 34-year-old right-hander and native of Haverhill, NH, appeared in six big-league games …
RELATED:
Jerry Crasnick / ESPN:
Few spots left for remaining free agents — From Ben Sheets to Orlando Hudson to Johnny Damon, many players still eyeing jobs — Matt Holliday, John Lackey, Jason Bay and Chone Figgins all got their money. But when more than 100 free agents and December non-tenders are still job hunting in late January …
