Top News:
Phil Rogers / Chicago Tribune:
Commissioner plans to step down after 2012 — Bud Selig, 75, wants time for other projects — On Baseball — When Bruce Springsteen played the Bradley Center in Milwaukee earlier this month, he led into his encore with “No Surrender,” sending its haunting refrain of “no retreat, no surrender” echoing around the arena.
RELATED:
John Schlegel / MLB.com:
Selig reiterates plans to retire in 2012 — Commissioner reportedly unswayed by inquiry to stay on — Commissioner Bud Selig has said for months that he plans to retire from Major League Baseball's highest post when his current term expires in 2012, and he reportedly made that clear …
Mike Axisa / MLB Rumors:
Bud Selig Plans To Step Down After 2012 — Sources have indicated to Phil Rogers of The Chicago Tribune that commissioner Bud Selig plans to step down after the 2012 season, when his contract is up. The current CBA expires after the 2011 season, so negotiating the next pact will likely be Selig's last act as baseball's commissioner.
Geoff Baker / The Seattle Times:
Marco Scutaro confirms Mariners have approached him — ADDITIONAL NOTE 8:03 p.m.: It seems that today's story is causing all kinds of fuss down in Texas, where fans are wondering why the Rangers would be pursuing Marco Scutaro at third base when they already have Michael Young.
Discussion:
MLB.com, Fenway West, The iYankees Blog, Hot Stove Blog, NESN.com, Lone Star Ball, Full Count, Circling The Bases and MLB Rumors
RELATED:
Evan Grant / Texas Rangers:
Saturday afternoon rumor control: Texas Rangers have no interest in Marco Scutaro at third base — Checked my email in between shopping expeditions this afternoon to find a link from Adam Morris of Lone Star Ball. The link is to a Seattle Times blog that paraphrases an article and some tweets …
MLBastian / Major League Bastian:
Scutaro prefers Red Sox, Dodgers — In a series of Twitter updates, Augusto Cárdenas of Diario Panorama, a newspaper based in Venezuela, provides some highlights of a story he did on Marco Scutaro's situation. — Scutaro informed Cardenas that his preferred landing spots this offseason …
Gordon Edes / ESPN:
There's one problem with the Red Sox trading Mike Lowell — Teams have other safer, cheaper options at third base — The supposition that the Red Sox will trade third baseman Mike Lowell, even if it means picking up a large chunk of the $12 million due him in 2010, ignores one fundamental aspect of the free-agent market this winter:
Discussion:
U.S.S. Mariner
Pete Caldera / NorthJersey.com:
Group fights New York City to keep original Gate 2 of Yankee Stadium — 'If you want something from the '20s, it's got to be that exterior wall,' said John Trush of the Save the Yankee Gate 2 Committee. New York City's Department of Parks and Recreation thinks differently.
New York Post:
Son of former Yankee has shot to follow father's footsteps to the big leagues — When Ron Davis' major league career came to an end at age 32, he thought it was the worst thing that could have happened to him. — Turns out, it was the best move, because he walked away from baseball and into his life.
ESPN:
Running with Bob Sheppard — Bob Sheppard, the longtime public address announcer for the Yankees, is stepping away from the microphone for good. — I hope he enjoys whatever he decides to do, and while I'd guess that it would involve reading — the man has devoured books in his lifetime …
Discussion:
William World News, The iYankees Blog, New York Post, Zell's Pinstripe Blog and Mike Silva's …
Shelby Grad / L.A. NOW:
Veteran Times sportswriter Mike Penner dead — Mike Penner, the veteran Los Angeles Times sportswriter who made international headlines in 2007 when he announced he was transsexual and began working under the byline “Christine Daniels,” has died. — Colleagues said today that Penner …
Anthony McCarron / NY Daily News:
Report: Toronto Blue Jays' Roy Halladay would waive no-trade clause for deal to New York Yankees — THREE DAYS after the Daily News wrote that the Red Sox were “putting on a full-court press” to trade for Roy Halladay, a report out of Canada says the Toronto ace has told the Blue Jays …
