Top News:
Gordon Edes / ESPN:
Source: Marco Scutaro, Boston Red Sox agree to a two-year deal — PUNTA CANA, Dominican Republic — The Red Sox have agreed to a two-year contract with free-agent shortstop Marco Scutaro, with an option for a third year, pending a physical, according to a Red Sox source.
Discussion:
Clubhouse Insider, Yankeeist, Red Sox Monster, MVN, Jorge Says No!, Baseball-Reference Blog, The Joy of Sox, Cutoff Man and The iYankees Blog
RELATED:
Jerry Crasnick / ESPN:
Sources: Free-agent shortstop Marco Scutaro holds private workout for Boston Red Sox — Free agent Marco Scutaro, a prime candidate to fill the Boston Red Sox's shortstop void in 2010, worked out in Florida earlier this week for one of the team's top talent evaluators, two baseball sources told ESPN.com.
Ian Browne / MLB.com:
Red Sox, Scutaro agree to two-year deal — Veteran shortstop has physical scheduled for Friday — BOSTON — The Red Sox have come to terms on a two-year deal with free-agent shortstop Marco Scutaro, MLB.com has learned through a source close to the situation.
Peter Abraham / Boston Globe:
Scutaro signs on with Sox — Stay where you are, Dustin Pedroia. The revolving door has spit out another shortstop for the Red Sox. — According to baseball sources, Marco Scutaro has agreed to a two-year deal with an option and needs only to pass a physical for everything to be official.
ESPN:
Cubs trade Fox, Miles to Oakland — The Chicago Cubs traded Aaron Miles and Jake Fox to the Oakland A's for right-handed pitcher Jeff Gray and minor-leaguers Ronny Morla and Matt Spencer, according to ESPNChicago.com reporter Bruce Levine. — The Cubs will absorb $1 million of the $2.7 million owed to Miles.
RELATED:
Carrie Muskat / MLB.com:
Cubs trade Fox, Miles for A's Gray — Righty reliever comes to Chicago with two prospects — CHICAGO — Aaron Miles will get a fresh start, Jake Fox may finally get a chance to play more regularly and the Cubs added a power arm to the bullpen in a deal Thursday with the Oakland Athletics.
Discussion:
B3: Big, Bald and Beautiful
Mark Sheldon / MLB.com:
Brennaman named ‘new’ TV broadcaster — Son of HOF voice handling primary play-by-play duties — CINCINNATI — The new Reds television play-by-play person isn't really new at all. In fact, he will be immediately familiar and recognizable to fans. — That's because the club announced …
RELATED:
The Knobler Blog:
Saito close to deal with Braves — The Braves are close to signing free-agent reliever Takashi Saito to a one-year contract, CBSSports.com has learned. — The deal, which should be announced later this afternoon, is expected to be for about $3 million. — With Saito and Billy Wagner …
Discussion:
sox1fan.com, Over the Monster, MVN, Talking Chop, Yahoo! Sports, SOX & Dawgs, Full Count, MetsBlog.com, Clubhouse Insider and The Real Dirty Mets Blog
RELATED:
John Manuel / Sports Illustrated:
Ranking baseball's best, worst farm systems … Baseball America ranks the 30 MLB farm systems twice a year — in the spring, as the minor league season is about to start, and again every December in our Prospect Handbook. — It's a collaborative effort, and staff members don't always agree on what constitutes a strong system.
Todd Zolecki / The Zo Zone:
Polanco Signs Three-Year, $18 Million Deal — The Phillies announced Placido Polanco has signed a three-year, $18 million contract. The contract also includes a fourth-year mutual option for 2013. — Polanco will meet with reporters later today. — Update: The Phillies also just announced …
Discussion:
MVN, MLB Daily Dish, Circling The Bases, Mets Merized Online, The700Level.com, Detroit Tigers blog and The Fightins
RELATED:
Thomas Harding / MLB.com:
Rockies hoping to strengthen rotation, 'pen — Club eyes improvements to staff as Winter Meetings approach — Club needs: — ROTATION: In a sense, the Rockies are in excellent shape. Left-hander Jeff Francis struggled through soreness in 2008 and missed '09 after shoulder surgery, but he is healthy.
RELATED:
Troy E. Renck / Denver Post:Hawpe more likely to stay with Rockies, O'Dowd says
Discussion:
Hot Stove Blog
Dan Novick / Hardball Times:
This brings me no joy — As many of you know, my baseball loyalties lie with the Yankees. The Evil Empire often catches a lot of flack for acting like, well, an Evil Empire. I've defended them time and time again on the internet, to my friends, and to my eternally pessimistic dad.
RELATED:
George A. King III / New York Post:
Bombers brass meet in Tampa to talk options — Armed with reports on every player the Yankees have an interest in, Brian Cashman will chair an organizational meeting today in Tampa. — Hal and Hank Steinbrenner met with financial gurus, club president Randy Levine and COO Lonn Trost …
RELATED:
Joe Strauss / St. Louis Post-Dispatch:
Two costly? — The Cardinals' Plan B for this winter is increasingly starting to sound like Plan A. — Concerned about the long-term impact of retaining free agent left fielder Matt Holliday while also signing first baseman and three-time NL Most Valuable Player Albert Pujols to an extension …
Discussion:
MetsBlog.com
NY Daily News:
New York Mets' seating chart, pricing too much to decipher — The Mets' individual ticket sales matrix for 2010 is available, even though you can't purchase single-game seats until late winter. The good news is that prices have been cut by about 10%, on average.
Dejan Kovacevic / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
Possible return of Nady among recent inquiries — Villone, Crosby also added to Pirates' free-agent checklist — An X-Man sequel? — The Pirates have made initial inquiries on free-agent outfielder Xavier Nady, as well as reliever Ron Villone and shortstop Bobby Crosby …
Maxim Almenas / NorthJersey.com:
Fire official says Molina's car was on fire — The Edgewater Volunteer Fire Department dispatched three fire trucks to a car fire inside the Edgewater Mariner parking lot on River Road Nov. 5. The first fire engine to arrive on the scene, the EW-2, was able to hit the hydrant just past the burning vehicle …
Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com:
Mets may be nearing deal with Blanco — Veteran would add depth off the bench, behind the plate — The Mets appear close to acquiring more depth, both off the bench and behind the plate. — Early Thursday morning, The New York Daily News cited the Venezuelan newspaper El Nacional …
RELATED:


