Check out Mini-Ballbug for simple mobiles or Ballbug Mobile for modern smartphones.
2:40 AM ET, December 19, 2009

Ballbug

 Top News: 
Larry Stone / Seattle Times:
Shocker: Mariners trade Carlos Silva for Milton Bradley  —  The Seattle Mariners have found a way to get rid of one of their last lingering problems.  The club today traded Carlos Silva, who still has two years remaining on the four-year, $48 million contract given him by former general manager Bill Bavasi …
RELATED:
Sports Illustrated:
Busy Mariners obtain Bradley from Cubs for Silva … The Mariners and Cubs reached agreement on a deal that would send outfielder Milton Bradley to Seattle in exchange for pitcher Carlos Silva and $6 million, SI.com has learned.  —  The money, which will be paid out over two years …
ESPN:
Blyleven: Health Silva's biggest question  —  Which Carlos Silva are the Chicago Cubs getting in the Milton Bradley trade?  —  Is he the one who was a solid middle-of-the-rotation starter with the Minnesota Twins, who averaged 193 innings from 2004-07?  Or will he be the Silva of the past …
Geoff Baker / The Seattle Times:
Carlos Silva for Milton Bradley is going down  —  Last week at the winter meetings, the Chicago Cubs and Mariners discussed a possible Carlos Silva for Milton Bradley swap.  —  “Not happening,” a top Mariners official said afterwards.  —  Well, it is happening now.
Discussion: Lone Star Ball and Sports Blog Net
Geoff Baker / The Seattle Times:
Mariners officially announce Milton Bradley-Carlos Silva trade
Duk / Yahoo! Sports:
Cubs look like biggest loser in problem swap with Mariners
Discussion: Bugs & Cranks
Ben Nicholson-Smith / MLB Rumors:
Cubs, Mariners Swap Bradley For Silva
George A. King III / New York Post:
Yankees give Johnson one-year deal; Damon moving on  —  Nick Johnson is back and Johnny Damon says so long.  —  The Yankees agreed with Johnson on a one-year deal worth $5.5 million with another $1 million in incentives that will become official after he passes a physical Monday.
RELATED:
Bill Madden / NY Daily News:
New York Yankees finalize one-year deal with Nick Johnson to replace Johnny Damon  —  The Yankees Friday finalized a one-year, $5.5 million deal with first baseman-DH Nick Johnson, effectively ending Johnny Damon's run in pinstripes.  —  The deal will not be officially announced until sometime next week …
Discussion: The Nats Blog and matsuifan.com
Fox Sports:
Damon, Yankees need to give a little  —  I like the idea of the Yankees signing Nick Johnson, but only if they re-sign Johnny Damon, too.  —  This silliness needs to stop.  —  Damon and his agent, Scott Boras, need to realize that Damon is 36, not 26.  The Yankees need to realize …
Mark Feinsand / Blogging The Bombers:
Say goodbye to Johnny, say hello to Nick  —  Johnny Damon's run in pinstripes has come to an end.  —  The Yankees are inching toward an agreement with Nick Johnson on a one-year, $5.5 million deal to become the team's new DH, which would mark the end of any chance for Damon to return for fifth season in pinstripes.
Jack Moore / FanGraphs Baseball:
Nick Johnson to New York
Marty Noble / MLB.com:
Inbox: Should Wright play first base?  —  Mets beat reporter Marty Noble fields fans' questions  —  I love watching David Wright make highlight plays at third base, but he also makes a lot of errors.  With the need for a first baseman, the Mets could solve that problem with moving Wright to first.
RELATED:
Fox Sports:
Here's an idea: Mets should trade Santana  —  By all accounts, the Mets are getting closer to wrapping their long, desperate tentacles around Jason Bay, but they're keeping their options open in case he bolts to the mystery team that's (supposedly) offering a five-year deal.
Discussion: Subway Squawkers and New York Post
Howard Megdal / Amazin' Avenue:
Jason Bay's Mystery Team
Discussion: MetsBlog.com and MLB Rumors
John Harper / NY Daily News:
Jason Bay stalls for more than four years from New York Mets
Joe McDonald / Providence Journal:
Lowell-to-Texas deal hits snag over possible thumb injury  —  Now that Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein has locked down a starting pitcher and an outfielder in John Lackey and Mike Cameron, the GM's next order of business is Mike Lowell.  —  The Sox and the Rangers are in the midst …
RELATED:
Richard Durrett / ESPN:
Source: Mike Lowell likely to have physical this weekend for Texas Rangers
Discussion: Boston Red Sox Blog
Thomas Harding / MLB.com:
Rincon returning to Rockies  —  Reliever to compete for roster spot during Spring Training  —  DENVER — Veteran right-handed pitcher Juan Rincon agreed to return to the Rockies under a Minor League contract and will compete for a roster spot this spring, according to a Major League source.
Discussion: MLB Rumors
 
 Archived Page Info: 
This is a snapshot of Ballbug at 2:40 AM ET, December 19, 2009.

View the current page or another snapshot:


 
 See Also: 
Ballbug: site main
Ballbug River: reverse chronological Ballbug
Ballbug Mobile: for phones
Ballbug Leaderboard: Ballbug's top sources
 
 Subscribe: 
Ballbug RSS feed
 
 
 More News: 
Ben Nicholson-Smith / MLB Rumors:
Pirates Sign Javier Lopez
Mark Bowman / MLB.com:
Vazquez unlikely to waive no-trade clause
Discussion: Talking Chop
Jim Caple / ESPN:
Best and worst teams of the decade
Discussion: River Avenue Blues
Bill Chastain / MLB.com:
Rays sign Dillon, Shealy to Minors deals
Discussion: MLB Rumors
Jodie Wagner / Youth Sports Daily:
Marlins' Chris Volstad to appear at Bucky Dent camp Dec. 22
Discussion: FishStripes
 Earlier Picks: 
Will Lingo / Baseball America:
Baltimore Orioles Top 10 Prospects
Tim Ott / MLB.com:
Season's best claim TYIB Awards
Thomas Harding / MLB.com:
Francis eager to get back into fold
Corey Brock / MLB.com:
Crisp could fill need for Padres
Discussion: MLB Rumors
Max Marchi / Hardball Times:
Catching Sabathia: Jorge's vs Jose's way
Discussion: River Avenue Blues
T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com:
Mendoza impressing Rangers this winter
 

 
From WeSmirch:

TMZ.com:
Shia LaBeouf Arrested at Mardi Gras After Fight, Spotted in Ambulance, on Video

Christina Garibaldi / Us Weekly:
‘Royally Us’ Weekly Recap: Prince Harry Previously Reached Out to Intermediary to Have Conversation With Prince William

Glamour:
Hilary Duff Is Fully in the Driver's Seat

 
Sister Sites:

Techmeme
 Top news and commentary for technology's leaders, from all around the web
Mediagazer
 Top news and commentary for media professionals from all around the web
memeorandum
 What US political commentators are discussing online right now
WeSmirch
 The top celebrity news from all around the web on a single page