Top News:
New York Times:
The Mets and Boras Are at Odds on Beltran — After experiencing sharp pain in his right knee, Carlos Beltran was examined Tuesday morning in Boulder, Colo., by Dr. Richard Steadman, a top orthopedic surgeon who concluded that Beltran should have arthroscopic surgery to repair an arthritic condition.
RELATED:
Associated Press:
Mets upset Beltran went ahead with knee surgery … NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Mets are upset Carlos Beltran had knee surgery this week after the team asked him to wait while management discussed options with its medical staff. — Assistant general manager John Ricco said the center fielder …
Mike Fitzpatrick / Associated Press:Beltran has knee surgery, will miss Mets' opener
Discussion:
Amazin' Avenue, New York Mets Fan Blog, MLB Daily Dish, Circling The Bases, Caught Lookin', FakeTeams and New York Post
Jason Beck / MLB.com:
Valverde, Tigers agree to terms — Deal is for two years, stabilizes back end of bullpen — DETROIT — The Tigers are poised to sign the veteran closer they hoped to add. They agreed to terms Thursday with Jose Valverde on a two-year contract with an option for a third …
RELATED:
Jose Canseco / Yahoo! Sports:
Valverde signs with Tigers for two years — patience paid off Thursday when he reached an agreement on a two-year, $14 million contract with the Detroit Tigers, a source close to the negotiations told Yahoo! Sports. — Valverde turned down arbitration from the Houston Astros and appeared …
Jerry Crasnick / ESPN.com:
Florida Marlins' Josh Johnson agrees to 4-year, $39M deal — Pitcher Josh Johnson reached an agreement on a four-year, guaranteed $39 million contract that will keep him with the Florida Marlins through 2013. The pitcher confirmed the agreement to ESPN.com Thursday. — Johnson
Jon Greenberg / ESPN:
Source: Contreras on Cubs radar — The Chicago Cubs remain interested in former Chicago White Sox pitcher Jose Contreras, according to a source close to the situation. — The source expects Contreras to sign a one-year, incentive-laden contract with either the Cubs or the St. Louis Cardinals.
RELATED:
Dallas Morning News:
Hicks makes most of time on Texas Rangers sale — For the last nine months, the only thing Hicks Sports Group has been able to buy is time. — Now the group that owns the Rangers appears to be running low on that, too. — The “deadline” for Tom Hicks and HSG to finish negotiations …
Discussion:
Lone Star Ball
RELATED:
Troy Renck / All Things Rockies:
Details on one-year arb contracts for Barmes, Buchholz — DENVER — The Rockies avoided arbitration today with two players they will be counting on heavily next season, second baseman Clint Barmes and reliever Taylor Buchholz. — Barmes more than doubled his salary, coming in at roughly $3.4 million.
RELATED:
Troy Renck / All Things Rockies:Rockies close in on one-year, $5.6-million deal with De La Rosa
Discussion:
MLB Rumors
Enrique Rojas / MLB:
Atlanta Braves, Melky Cabrera avoid arbitration — Atlanta Braves outfielder Melky Cabrera avoided salary arbitration and accepted a one-year offer worth $3.1 million from the club. — Cabrera, 25, was acquired last month by the Braves from the Yankees in a deal that sent right-handed pitcher Javier Vazquez to New York.
Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com:
LaRoche, D-backs agree to one-year deal — Lefty-hitting slugger becomes club's everyday first baseman — The Arizona Diamondbacks agreed to terms Thursday on a one-year deal with Adam LaRoche, a baseball source told MLB.com. — The signing — still pending a physical …
RELATED:
Jon Heyman / Sports Illustrated:LaRoche agrees with Diamondbacks
Discussion:
MLB Rumors, River Avenue Blues, Beyond the Box Score, Bats, AZ Snakepit and McCovey Chronicles
Jorge Arangure Jr / MLB:
Former New York Yankees scout awarded $700,000 in damages by Dominican court — A former New York Yankees Latin American scouting director who was fired amid allegations that he had skimmed bonuses from several prospects was awarded nearly $700,000 in damages against the team by a Dominican court …
Corey Brock / MLB.com:
Bell, Padres come to terms, avoid arbitration — Closer agrees on one-year deal for $4 million in 2010 — SAN DIEGO — Leading the National League in saves and being named to an All-Star team has served Padres' closer Heath Bell well — both on the field and financially.
Mark Bowman / MLB.com:
Glavine mulling new job with Braves — Legendary left-hander says he's unlikely to pitch again — ATLANTA — Tom Glavine is not ready to officially declare that his legendary pitching career is complete. But as he nears this likely reality, he has wondered whether it's time to mend relationships …
Discussion:
Circling The Bases
Mark Newman / MLB.com:
MLB pitching in for devastated Haiti — Baseball supports relief efforts with $1 million donation — Major League Baseball, its clubs, its players and its fans are participating in rapid relief efforts for the devastated nation of Haiti, which remains in a state of chaos amid widespread fatalities …
Zuri Berry / Boston Globe:
Sox agree to terms with Okajima — The Red Sox announced it had agreed to terms with left-handed pitcher Hideki Okajima to a 1-year, non-guaranteed contract.The Globe's Peter Abraham is reporting the deal is worth $2.75 million with Okajima having the ability to make up to $200,000 more depending on how many games he pitches.
MLB.com:
White Sox invite 15 players to Spring Training — CHICAGO - The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on minor-league contracts with right-handed pitchers Greg Aquino and Daniel Cabrera, left-handed pitcher Erick Threets, infielder Freddie Bynum and outfielder Jason Botts.
Discussion:
MLB Rumors
John Sickels / Minor League Ball:
Cincinnati Reds Top 20 Prospects for 2010 — More photos » Charles Rex Arbogast - AP — Cincinnati Reds starting pitcher Johnny Cueto, signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2004. (AP Photo/Charles Rex Arbogast) — Browse more photos » — Top 20 Cincinnati Reds Prospects for 2010

