Top News:
Associated Press:
Mets upset Beltran went ahead with knee surgery … NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Mets are upset Carlos Beltran had knee surgery this week after the team asked him to wait while management discussed options with its medical staff. — Assistant general manager John Ricco said the center fielder …
RELATED:
New York Times:
Boras Says Mets Approved Beltran Surgery, Then Changed Their Minds — After a disastrous season marked by numerous medical problems, the Mets hoped a new year would bring new results. Instead, the 2010 season will begin as 2009 ended, with another injury and with accompanying controversy …
New York Post:Another Amazin' miscommunication on injury front
Discussion:
Patrick Flood's Mets Blog, Amazin' Avenue, My Summer Family, The Daily Stache and TedQuarters.net
Matthew Cerrone / MetsBlog.com:Carlos Beltran had Knee Surgery
Discussion:
Amazin' Avenue, Fonzie Forever, The Crawfish Boxes, New York Magazine, New York Times, TedQuarters.net, Mets Merized Online, MLB.com, Mets Fever, ...gettingpaidtowatch, The Real Dirty Mets Blog, FakeTeams, The Musings and Prophecies …, The 'Ropolitans, Circling The Bases, Seven Train to Shea Mets Blog, The Daily Stache, New York Mets Fan Blog, Yahoo! Sports, OnTheBlack.com and Can't Stop The Bleeding
Jason Beck / MLB.com:
Valverde, Tigers agree to terms — Deal is for two years, stabilizes back end of bullpen — DETROIT — The Tigers are poised to sign the veteran closer they hoped to add. They agreed to terms Thursday with Jose Valverde on a two-year contract with an option for a third …
RELATED:
Jose Canseco / Yahoo! Sports:
Valverde signs with Tigers for two years — patience paid off Thursday when he reached an agreement on a two-year, $14 million contract with the Detroit Tigers, a source close to the negotiations told Yahoo! Sports. — Valverde turned down arbitration from the Houston Astros and appeared …
Chicago Tribune:
New Chicago Cubs hitting coach expects to exceed high expectations — Rudy Jaramillo believes in his ability to make players better — The Cubs may be the only team in history to bring their new hitting coach to town for an introductory news conference while letting their most prominent free agent signee …
RELATED:
Jerry Crasnick / ESPN.com:
Florida Marlins' Josh Johnson agrees to 4-year, $39M deal — Pitcher Josh Johnson reached an agreement on a four-year, guaranteed $39 million contract that will keep him with the Florida Marlins through 2013. The pitcher confirmed the agreement to ESPN.com Thursday. — Johnson
Enrique Rojas / MLB:
Atlanta Braves, Melky Cabrera avoid arbitration — Atlanta Braves outfielder Melky Cabrera avoided salary arbitration and accepted a one-year offer worth $3.1 million from the club. — Cabrera, 25, was acquired last month by the Braves from the Yankees in a deal that sent right-handed pitcher Javier Vazquez to New York.
Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com:
LaRoche, D-backs agree to one-year deal — Lefty-hitting slugger becomes club's everyday first baseman — The Arizona Diamondbacks agreed to terms Thursday on a one-year deal with Adam LaRoche, a baseball source told MLB.com. — The signing — still pending a physical …
RELATED:
Troy Renck / All Things Rockies:
Details on one-year arb contracts for Barmes, Buchholz — DENVER — The Rockies avoided arbitration today with two players they will be counting on heavily next season, second baseman Clint Barmes and reliever Taylor Buchholz. — Barmes more than doubled his salary, coming in at roughly $3.4 million.
RELATED:
Troy Renck / All Things Rockies:Rockies close in on one-year, $5.6-million deal with De La Rosa
Discussion:
MLB Rumors
Sports Illustrated:
McGwire had to talk about steroids, but his story doesn't add up … The truth with Mark McGwire — and we finally did get some truth from McGwire on Monday — is that he had no choice but to come clean. (Or at least partially clean, in his case.) — From the time the Cardinals decided …
RELATED:
T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com:Negotiations continue over Rangers' sale
Discussion:
Baseball Time in Arlington
Tim Kurkjian / ESPN:
Sheets healthy, ready to prove it — Free agent didn't pitch in 2009 but is ready to go in 2010 — he just needs a team — Ben Sheets believes he can be a No. 1 starter again after missing all of '09 with elbow trouble. — Ben Sheets answered his cell phone, but there was no time to talk.
Dejan Kovacevic / PBC Blog:
Dotel remains close, but ‘not yet’ — BRADENTON, Fla. — The Pirates and free-agent reliever Octavio Dotel remain close to a deal, as reported Wednesday in the Post-Gazette, but one source just texted me when I asked if an agreement had been reached: “Not yet.”
RELATED:
Jorge Arangure Jr / MLB:
Former New York Yankees scout awarded $700,000 in damages by Dominican court — A former New York Yankees Latin American scouting director who was fired amid allegations that he had skimmed bonuses from several prospects was awarded nearly $700,000 in damages against the team by a Dominican court …
John Shea / SFGate:
Valdez designated for assignment — Merkin Valdez was designated for assignment, clearing room on the 40-man roster for Aubrey Huff, who signed as a free agent for one year and $3 million. — Valdez was 2-1 with a 5.66 ERA in 48 games last season. He struck out 38 batters and issued 28 walks in 49 1/3 innings.
MLB.com:
White Sox invite 15 players to Spring Training — CHICAGO - The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on minor-league contracts with right-handed pitchers Greg Aquino and Daniel Cabrera, left-handed pitcher Erick Threets, infielder Freddie Bynum and outfielder Jason Botts.
Discussion:
MLB Rumors
Mark Newman / MLB.com:
MLB pitching in for devastated Haiti — Baseball supports relief efforts with $1 million donation — Major League Baseball, its clubs, its players and its fans are participating in rapid relief efforts for the devastated nation of Haiti, which remains in a state of chaos amid widespread fatalities …
