Top News:
Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com:
Sox avoid arbitration with Jenks, Quentin — Only remaining eligible players now include Danks, Pena — The White Sox avoided arbitration with two of their eligible players on Saturday, agreeing to one-year contracts with closer Bobby Jenks and outfielder Carlos Quentin.
Discussion:
MLB Rumors
RELATED:
ESPN:
Chicago White Sox agree to terms with closer Bobby Jenks and outfielder Carlos Quentin — CHICAGO — The Chicago White Sox on Saturday announced they have agreed to terms on one-year contracts with closer Bobby Jenks and outfielder Carlos Quentin. — According to a news release from the team …
Dejan Kovacevic / PBC Blog:
Pirates, Donnelly agree to terms — The Pirates and free-agent reliever Brendan Donnelly have agreed to terms on a contract, pending a physical, according to a source directly involved in the negotiations. — More to come. — UPDATE 2:05 p.m.: A few more things: This will be for one year, but I do not have financial terms.
RELATED:
Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com:
Pirates, reliever Donnelly reach deal — Veteran righty expected to receive one-year, $1.5M pact — The Pirates agreed to terms on a one-year Major League contract with free-agent right-handed reliever Brendan Donnelly on Saturday, a Major League source confirmed to MLB.com.
Jerry Crasnick / ESPN.com:
Source: Pittsburgh Pirates reach agreement with Brendan Donnelly — The Pittsburgh Pirates, adding another piece to an offseason bullpen revamp, reached a preliminary agreement with veteran reliever Brendan Donnelly on a one-year contract for about $1.5 million, a baseball source told ESPN.com.
Michael O'Keeffe / NY Daily News:
Howie Spira, the Bronx gambler who dug up dirt on Dave Winfield, is down on his luck — Derek Jeter got parades up the Canyon of Heroes for helping the Yankees win five World Series titles since 1996. Howie Spira may have played a bigger role in the Yankees' success, and what did he get? — Bupkis.
RELATED:
Carrie Muskat / MLB.com:
Ricketts in it with Cubs for ‘long run’ — Team's new owners show commitment in Q&A with fans — CHICAGO — The Ricketts family did not tip their hand Saturday as to where they're leaning toward relocating the Cubs' new Spring Training home, but did vow to preserve Wrigley Field …
Discussion:
Yahoo! Sports
Marksheldon / Mark My Word:
Masset gets two-year deal — Nick Masset avoided arbitration on Saturday by agreeing to a new two-year contract with the Reds through 2011. — The deal is worth $2.58 million in guaranteed money. The reliever will get $1.035 million in 2010 and $1.545 million in 2011. The are performance-based incentives as well.
Discussion:
MLB.com, Yahoo! Sports, Circling The Bases, MLB Rumors, Red Reporter and Cincinnati Reds
Fox Sports:
With rivals reeling, Giants whiffed — Jon Paul Morosi is a national MLB writer for FOXSports.com. He previously covered baseball for the Detroit Free Press and Seattle Post-Intelligencer. He began his journalism career at the Bay City Times in his native Michigan.
Discussion:
Mike Scioscia's tragic illness
Aaron Fitt / Baseball America:
Judge Rules Against Paxton — A Kentucky judge ruled Friday night that the University of Kentucky can withhold lefthander James Paxton from games until he meets with an NCAA investigator to clear up questions about his eligibility. — The Associated Press reported that Fayette County …
David Waldstein / New York Times:
Minaya Dials Back Mets' Ire on Beltran — A day after the Mets sent an assistant to do verbal battle on the team's behalf, General Manager Omar Minaya was back in place Friday, trying to smooth over the strained relationship between the club and Carlos Beltran.
Chad Jennings / The LoHud Yankees Blog:
Baldelli to Yankees: “That would be false” — There is a Facebook page attributed to Rocco Baldelli that says the outfielder, “just came to a mutual agreement with the New York Yankees.” — “That would be false,” Brian Cashman said. — Such is the world of the Internet.
Corey Brock / MLB.com:
Padres deal Kouz to A's for outfielders — San Diego reportedly set to receive Hairston, Cunningham — SAN DIEGO — The Padres and A's have reached agreement on a deal that would send San Diego third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff and Minor League infielder Eric Sogard to Oakland …
RELATED:
Anthony DiComo / MLB.com:
Mets, Maine agree to terms on contract — Feliciano, Francoeur, Green, Pagan remain without deals — NEW YORK — The Mets agreed to terms with John Maine on Friday evening, avoiding arbitration with the right-hander moments after he and four other Mets filed for the process.
RELATED:
