Top News:
Jon Heyman / Sports Illustrated:
Mets set to land Matthews from Angels — The Mets have a deal to acquire Gary Matthews Jr. from the Los Angeles Angels according to an American League source. Matthews has two years and $23 million remaining on his contract and the Angels will be paying the vast portion of that money.
RELATED:
Matthew Cerrone / MetsBlog.com:
Buzz: The Mets are Up to Somthing — This morning, on Twitter and Facebook, I said, “Yep, the Mets are up to something, and close to making a deal... fingers crossed.” — I hope it is good news, as we, fans, could use it. — Yesterday, I heard a lot of bizarre hot stove rumors …
Anthony McCarron / NY Daily News:
New York Mets might make pitch to ex-Yankee pitcher Chien-Ming Wang — The Mets are scouring the pitching market and have been in touch with Ben Sheets since they watched him at his throwing session in Louisiana on Tuesday. Another possible starting option is Chien-Ming Wang …
Discussion:
MetsBlog.com, Amazin' Avenue, MLB Rumors, Circling The Bases, TedQuarters.net and The Real Dirty Mets Blog
RELATED:
Bill Ladson / MLB.com:
Nats interested in free agent Jacobs — Slugging first baseman struggled with Royals last season — Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said Wednesday on the MLB Network that he has interest in free-agent first baseman Mike Jacobs. — How Jacobs would fit in with the Nationals is a mystery.
ESPN:
Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen feels betrayed by Mark McGwire admission — Ozzie Guillen said he feels betrayed by Mark McGwire's admission that he used performance-enhancing drugs, and the Chicago White Sox manager isn't buying the slugger's contention that they didn't help him hit home runs at a record pace.
RELATED:
Doug Glanville / Opinionator:
Seeing Is Disbelieving — Last week, after years of public curiosity about what was hidden behind Mark McGwire's testimony to Congress in 2005, McGwire admitted he indeed had a secret. He conceded that his career was marked by intermittent steroid use, even during 1998, the year he broke Roger Maris' single-season home run record.
Rob Bradford / WEEI:
WHAT HAPPENED WITH JASON BAY AND THE RED SOX — It was supposed to be the payoff for years of hard work and production. Instead, Jason Bay's foray into free agency was nine months of chaos that still leaves the outfielder shaking his head. — The end of the story had Jason Bay standing …
Tim Dierkes / MLB Rumors:
Royals Reach Agreement With Rick Ankiel — The Royals reached an agreement with outfielder Rick Ankiel on a one-year, $3.25MM deal, tweets Yahoo's Tim Brown. The contract has a second-year mutual option worth $6MM and, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports, Ankiel can earn up to $500K in incentives this year.
RELATED:
Rhett Bollinger / MLB.com:
Ankiel rides across I-70 to Royals — Pitcher-turned-outfielder departs St. Louis for Kansas City — The Royals reached an agreement with free agent outfielder Rick Ankiel on a one-year deal worth $3.25 million with a mutual option for 2011 worth $6 million, Yahoo Sports reported late Thursday night.
Discussion:
Chicago Breaking Sports
Craig Calcaterra / Circling The Bases:
It's Official: The Phillies sign Shane Victorino for 3 years, $22 million — UPDATE: The deal has now been announced by the team. — Thursday, 8:02 P.M.: A source is telling me that the Phillies and Shane Victorino have reached a deal on a three-year, $22 million contract.
Discussion:
MLB.com, The Zo Zone, Brew Crew Ball, Philly Sports News …, MLB Rumors, The700Level.com and Phillies Nation
RELATED:
Tony Jackson / ESPN:
Los Angeles Dodgers re-sign Vicente Padilla — The Dodgers finally completed their search for a fourth starter, re-signing Vicente Padilla to a one-year, $5.025 million contract after the veteran right-hander became a key member of their starting rotation down the stretch last season.
RELATED:
Mike Puma / New York Post:
If Delgado a no-go, Mets may tab Tatis — The Mets' hunt for another first-base option includes a longtime favorite of general manager Omar Minaya. — According to an industry source, if Carlos Delgado is not re-signed, Fernando Tatis is a strong candidate to rejoin the Mets next season.
Bobbie Dittmeier / MLB.com:
Former manager, player Bragan dies — Led Braves to three winning seasons; was fixture in Fort Worth — Bobby Bragan, a former Major League manager and player who was called “Mr. Baseball” for his years of dedication to the game, died Thursday at his home in Fort Worth, Tex. He was 92.
Patrick Sullivan / Baseball Analysts:
In Response to Murray Chass — Recently, former New York Times journalist and J.G. Taylor Spink Award winner Murray Chass took to the pages of his blog titled Murray Chass On Baseball to discuss Hall of Fame voting. He addressed an array of topics, from Hall voting eliciting strong opinions …
Discussion:
It's About The Money, Fack Youk, Baseball Crank, Circling The Bases and Murray Chass On Baseball
Michael Hiestand / USA Today:
Salisbury aims to move on after admission — Other than its decidedly 21st-century angles, Sean Salisbury's story is timeless: Show spur-of-the-moment stupidity, deny it in hopes it will be forgotten — then find it follows you around instead. — “I was ashamed, and I didn't want to say anything …
East Valley Tribune:
Mesa unveils plan to keep Cubs; vote Monday — Mesa has a deal to keep the Chicago Cubs — and all it needs is for the team to sign it. In what could be a telling decision by the team's executives, the Cubs told Mesa they will decide on an $84 million baseball complex shortly after the City Council formally endorses the deal Monday.
