Top News:
Larry Stone / Seattle Times:
Shocker: Mariners trade Carlos Silva for Milton Bradley — The Seattle Mariners have found a way to get rid of one of their last lingering problems. The club today traded Carlos Silva, who still has two years remaining on the four-year, $48 million contract given him by former general manager Bill Bavasi …
Discussion:
Chicago Breaking Sports, Beyond the Box Score, Lookout Landing, Hardball Times, NESN.com, The Heater, Twinkie Town and Angels blog
RELATED:
Sports Illustrated:
Busy Mariners obtain Bradley from Cubs for Silva … The Mariners and Cubs reached agreement on a deal that would send outfielder Milton Bradley to Seattle in exchange for pitcher Carlos Silva and $6 million, SI.com has learned. — The money, which will be paid out over two years …
ESPN:
Blyleven: Health Silva's biggest question — Which Carlos Silva are the Chicago Cubs getting in the Milton Bradley trade? — Is he the one who was a solid middle-of-the-rotation starter with the Minnesota Twins, who averaged 193 innings from 2004-07? Or will he be the Silva of the past …
Geoff Baker / The Seattle Times:
Carlos Silva for Milton Bradley is going down — Last week at the winter meetings, the Chicago Cubs and Mariners discussed a possible Carlos Silva for Milton Bradley swap. — “Not happening,” a top Mariners official said afterwards. — Well, it is happening now.
ESPN:Chicago Cubs trade Milton Bradley to Seattle Mariners for Carlos Silva
Discussion:
Bottom9 Baseball
Duk / Yahoo! Sports:Cubs look like biggest loser in problem swap with Mariners
Discussion:
Bugs & Cranks
George A. King III / New York Post:
Yankees give Johnson one-year deal; Damon moving on — Nick Johnson is back and Johnny Damon says so long. — The Yankees agreed with Johnson on a one-year deal worth $5.5 million with another $1 million in incentives that will become official after he passes a physical Monday.
RELATED:
Bill Madden / NY Daily News:
New York Yankees finalize one-year deal with Nick Johnson to replace Johnny Damon — The Yankees Friday finalized a one-year, $5.5 million deal with first baseman-DH Nick Johnson, effectively ending Johnny Damon's run in pinstripes. — The deal will not be officially announced until sometime next week …
Fox Sports:
Damon, Yankees need to give a little — I like the idea of the Yankees signing Nick Johnson, but only if they re-sign Johnny Damon, too. — This silliness needs to stop. — Damon and his agent, Scott Boras, need to realize that Damon is 36, not 26. The Yankees need to realize …
Mark Feinsand / Blogging The Bombers:
Say goodbye to Johnny, say hello to Nick — Johnny Damon's run in pinstripes has come to an end. — The Yankees are inching toward an agreement with Nick Johnson on a one-year, $5.5 million deal to become the team's new DH, which would mark the end of any chance for Damon to return for fifth season in pinstripes.
Discussion:
Circling The Bases, The iYankees Blog, The Yankee Universe, Bats, YanksBlog.com, Replacement Level … and MLB Rumors
Fox Sports:
Here's an idea: Mets should trade Santana — By all accounts, the Mets are getting closer to wrapping their long, desperate tentacles around Jason Bay, but they're keeping their options open in case he bolts to the mystery team that's (supposedly) offering a five-year deal.
Discussion:
Subway Squawkers
RELATED:
Marty Noble / MLB.com:
Inbox: Should Wright play first base? — Mets beat reporter Marty Noble fields fans' questions — I love watching David Wright make highlight plays at third base, but he also makes a lot of errors. With the need for a first baseman, the Mets could solve that problem with moving Wright to first.
John Harper / NY Daily News:Jason Bay stalls for more than four years from New York Mets
Discussion:
Seven Train to Shea Mets Blog, Bottom9 Baseball, Newsday, MetsBlog.com and Amazin' Avenue
Joe McDonald / Providence Journal:
Lowell-to-Texas deal hits snag over possible thumb injury — Now that Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein has locked down a starting pitcher and an outfielder in John Lackey and Mike Cameron, the GM's next order of business is Mike Lowell. — The Sox and the Rangers are in the midst …
RELATED:
Richard Durrett / ESPN:Source: Mike Lowell likely to have physical this weekend for Texas Rangers
Discussion:
Boston Red Sox Blog
Kevin Dame / Hardball Times:
Visual Baseball: Seattle Mariners Rank-o-meter — With the additions of Cliff Lee, Chone Figgins and “Meltdown” Bradley, there's been a surge in Mariners hype. Those who aren't quite ready to hand them the AL West crown point to their weak offense. Here's a look at that offense via the Rank-o-meter.
Discussion:
Red Reporter
Thomas Harding / MLB.com:
Rincon returning to Rockies — Reliever to compete for roster spot during Spring Training — DENVER — Veteran right-handed pitcher Juan Rincon agreed to return to the Rockies under a Minor League contract and will compete for a roster spot this spring, according to a Major League source.
Discussion:
MLB Rumors

